With the release of version 2.0, Timelines is moving from the model of one-time up-front payment to a free-to-download app with an optional PRO subscription.
(To skip to the FAQ for existing users, click here.)
The paid-up-front model has its advantages, in its simplicity both in terms of engineering and in the presentation to potential customers, but ultimately, it wasn't a good fit for Timelines. Mainly for one reason: sustainability.
This new model is a better fit, because now users will be able to try Timelines for free before deciding whether it's a good fit for them or not. Also, they will be able to opt for the monthly option if they still weren't sure whether they want to commit longterm.
New users can try Timelines completely free of charge, with no strings attached. The free version offers:
- track up to 3 categories
- basic exporting
- pie chart
- see tracked events on a timeline
- events log
Timelines PRO is an optional subscription that unlocks the full potential of Timelines:
- track unlimited number of categories
- bar chart
- detailed exports
- import from Apple Health
- support development
You can opt for either the monthly plan at $2.99/month or the yearly plan at $19.99/year (which is essentially 45% cheaper than the monthly plan).
By subscribing to PRO, you also directly support further development of Timelines. I'm an indie developer at heart, and I'm doing my best to keep making Timelines the best it can be. Currently, Timelines isn't making enough for it to be my full-time job, so I need to supplement it with freelancing on the side, but once Timelines's revenue grows to cover my income, I fully intend on making it my full-time priority.
I have big plans for it, and in the near future, the highest priority goes to building sync between devices and creating an iPad version.
What if I bought Timelines 1 before?
First of all: thank you for your support 🙏. It means a lot to me. I have thought long and hard about how to make this transition genuinely fair for you, and this is what I came up with:
- You can keep using all features which were already present in Timelines 1 without subscribing (without ever paying again).
- You get all UI improvements and bug fixes of Timelines 2.0 for free
- To access new 2.0 features (mainly bar chart, goals, and import from Health), as well as new upcoming PRO features, you need to subscribe to PRO.
- To compensate for the fact that you already own Timelines 1, you get a lifetime 50% discount for the yearly plan - making it just $9.99/year.
If you have any thoughts or questions about this change, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.